We are looking for an experienced Project Manager to help set strong project management standards and ensure that projects across the organization are smoothly delivered and achieve their intended outcomes.
If you are interested in this type of work, but do not have the experience and/or qualifications required for this role, you may wish to consider applying for a related Project Coordinator’s position instead.
Remote / home working.
Some in-person meetings if you are based in London/the UK.
Duration and Hours:
- This role is ongoing.
- This role can be part time or full time, in the range of 20 to 40 hours per week.
To be agreed based on scope and experience.
Director of Operations
The Project Manager’s role is to ensure that all projects within ALLFED are
- initiated and approved in an agreed manner.
- run smoothly and efficiently.
- monitored and supported throughout.
- well documented.
- completed on time and within budget.
- and achieve their intended outcomes.
The Project Manager will ensure coordination within projects (i.e., “intra-project” -
working with each project’s lead and team members), as well as across projects (i.e.
“inter-project” - working with multiple project leads). This role requires both a high-level
and ground-level understanding of project management processes.
To excel in their role, the Project Manager will familiarize themselves with all relevant
ALLFED projects and work closely with ALLFED’s management team, project leads, and
The Project Manager will also suggest improvements to organizational systems and
procedures, provide training, and help obtain any necessary standards.
Inter-project coordination will include the following responsibilities:
- Learning to an advanced level all ALLFED’s project management and collaboration
systems, tools, practices, and procedures, and how they interact with and affect
other systems within the organization.
- Developing an up-to-date overview of all of ALLFED’s projects, including their
schedules, who is working on (and leading) them, their desired outcomes and
potential impacts, their statuses of progression, where their documentation can
be found, and so on.
- Reporting on the current state of projects to the management team on an ongoing
basis, enabling them to monitor the overall project landscape.
- Working with the management team to determine which projects need which
kinds of support.
- Managing and prioritizing workload, helping to identify which projects have the
potential to contribute the most to ALLFED’s strategic aims and goals, and which
projects stand to gain the most value in expectation from receiving assistance
from the Project Manager.
- Ensuring the most efficient use of resources and that work is not being duplicated
- Ensuring organizational interconnectivity and informing any project leads of
information from other projects that would be of use to their work (e.g.,
connecting team members across projects).
- Assisting with organizational risk management and compliance.
- Assisting and leading other tasks as needed.
Intra-project coordination will involve the following responsibilities:
- Working with project leads to develop a timeline for projects, to create plans and
schedules, and to monitor progress to make sure goals are met on time.
- Ensuring that deadlines are met and that the project’s schedule is being kept to,
and making changes to timelines and schedules where appropriate to
accommodate unforeseen circumstances.
- Setting, monitoring, and controlling budgets.
- Trouble-shooting bottlenecks and barriers in projects.
- Actively looking for ways in which projects can be conducted more efficiently and
effectively, for example through improving operational systems and processes.
- Being aware of and communicating any potential issues, risks, or opportunities
- Ensuring PM administrative functions are run smoothly, tasks are efficiently
assigned and delegated, and all project documentation is well maintained.
- Ensuring the project team has the tools they need to complete the project.
- Using a number of organizational tools in an exemplary manner, so as to set the
“gold standard” for other team members.
- Ensuring that project organization systems are being used optimally by team
- Providing any necessary project advice and training to team members, and in
particular supporting, developing and training ALLFED’s project coordinator(s)..
- Assisting with and leading other tasks as needed.
Essential (Must Have):
For all ALLFED roles
- A mature, open-minded, and can-do attitude - we are trying to help feed the world!.
- Self-motivated, reliable, hard-working, able to get along with people.
- Awareness of ALLFED’s work and mission http://allfed.info.
- Comfortable with working remotely.
- Access to high speed Internet, headset + webcam.
- Good English language skills, both spoken and written.
Specific to this role
- At least 5 years of project management experience.
- Good knowledge of a range of project management methodologies and principles
(e.g., Waterfall, Agile), and an ability to determine the best approach.
- Excellent knowledge of standard project management tools and applications
(e.g., Gantt charts, including dependencies, baselines and critical path).
- Excellent time management, with an ability to prioritize competing tasks in a
global, remote environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, people, and team-leading skills.
- Excellent understanding of and experience with personnel management,
issue/conflict management, human resources, and a workforces with diversity and
a wide range of abilities.
- Excellent reporting and analytical skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and a proactive approach.
- Excellent language and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent computer, internet, and telephone skills.
- Excellent administrative skills.
- An organisational/systems mindset.
- Ability to multitask, balancing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to manage all aspects of project risks and compliance.
- Availability outside of standard working hours
Desirable (Nice to Have):
- Project management qualification, from APM (Association for Project
Management), PMI (Project Management Institute), and CMI (Chartered
Management Institute), or another relevant body.
- PRINCE2, Microsoft Project, or other professional project tools.
- A scrum master, and able to train the team in Scrum.
- Familiar with project / information management standards (ISO 21500 or similar),
experience with management standards certification process.
- Good awareness of regulations and best practices.
- Experience with resilience and risk management.
- Good understanding of and experience with global, remote teams.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please direct any
questions and/or applications to
stating the role you are applying for in the subject line.